My Shop at Zibbet

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Tangerine Tango

Thanks to A to Z blogging, I  recently conquered a major phobia that I didn't even know existed within me until December of last year. When I decided to do A to Z blogging, I also decided that I would finally face this fear of mine head-on and blog about it when the time came. Well folks, the time is now and I can not only call what I used to fear by name, but I can also look at it and like what I see.

So by now I am sure you are wondering just what it is that I used to fear and why I was so afraid of it.
It all started at the end of December when Pantone ( The world-wide authority on color for the fashion and home decor industries) announced that the color of the year would be Tangerine Tango.  Upon hearing this I immediately flashed back to the awful neon of the 80's. I like to think of my self as fashion-forward, but I wouldn't be caught dead in neon. Not again. No way in h-e-double hockey sticks. So I was prepared to be unfashionable for the upcoming year of 2012. As I was getting used to the thought of actually being unfashionable, the inevitable happened and every where I went, both in public and on-line I was assaulted by the awful, in-your-face, oranger than orange, Tangerine Tango. And let me tell you, it wasn't the neon I expected, but an even more repulsive shade of orange. Kind of like Halloween every day. How Gruesome.  I was being smothered with it, I couldn't breathe.

It was hard, but I decided that I needed to find a way to just ignore this awful orange all around me if I wanted to survive so slowly but surely I became indifferent to it and then actually blind to it. That is until I started viewing the runway shows on line and there it was again. Good grief, there was no end to it. Tangerine Tango was all over the runways. Even my favorite designers were using it. By this time I was beginning to think, well if it's good enough for top designers, surely it can't be that bad?  Maybe I could learn to at least tolerate tangerine tango in small doses? So I decided to get a paper bag to breathe into and go window shopping online until I found something in this color that I actually liked.  Being a shoe lover, I decided to start with shoes, and I didn't have to look very long before finding these Jimmy Choos. I was looking at them and liking them and I could actually breathe!!!



Having conquered looking at Tangerine Tango, I got brave and went to the bead store and actually brought some orange beads. I was still a bit apprehensive about actually taking them out of the containers for fear that if I touched the orange my fingers would fall off. So they just sat on my table for a while, glaring at me,  until I decided that I would blog about Tangerine Tango for A to Z blogging.  It was tough getting started, but I said to myself, "Okay, they may be scary orange but after all they are only beads and won't hurt you". With that said, I fearlessly beaded on until my odd orange phobia was nothing more than a fading nightmare.  And guess what? Now I can't wait to go out and buy something orange to wear with it. :)


TTYL and make it a good day,
Debbie


10 comments:

kate n said...

I love orange and that necklace is stunning!

Amalie Berlin said...

The necklace *is* lovely. It looks more tomato-colored to me. See how helpful I am? Denial is fun!

That said, there is something to be said for orange: people around here don't say orange. They say Oinge. OINGE. It's hard to be afraid of anything pronounced Oinge.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Congratulations overcoming your orange fears! It is funny how a color can start to grow on you after a little exposure. Orange is a fun, uplifting color to wear on a dreary day! Those Jimmy Choos are fabulous.

JoJo said...

Glad you conquered your fear of it, but I still don't work much in oranges. lol You think of the neon 80s and I think of the orange/yellow/brown/avocado fiasco of the 70s.

michelle said...

I love those wedge-heeled shoes - they look absolutely comfy!
I also used tango for my T-post!

Abracadebra Designs said...

Thanks for the compliments, but I wanted to let you know that it is a bracelet, not a whole entire necklace. Remember, I now like my Tangerine in small portions ;)
-Debbie

Liz Powley said...

I think that is a stunning colour :D In fact I was going to blog about it for V - Vermillion.

I know colour trauma. For me it is various shades of candy pink. In the last few years I have become the mother of two wonderful little girls and have been rapidly educated on the whole concept that most clothing stores have a very limited palette for little girls. In fact, I can list the number of colours available on one hand and most of them are a shade of vile pink. But here I am, four years later, having fought tooth and nail to find clothing for my daughters that is not pink, actually purchasing a quilt cover and sheets in pink just last night for my youngest's first big bed. Am I a recovering pinkist? Possibly. Either that or it has just been beaten into me.

I have to say though that often it isn't the actual colour that is the problem. It is the blatant bad use of that colour. Mismatching it with other colours, poor dyeing or material problems and just plain cheap junk interpetations. A colour can only really shine amongst other colours and they have to be the right colours to create the right feel.

And you have created a lovely bracelet. And have used pink ::grin:: in a good way, both colours working very well together. Hmm, maybe I should try to paint in pink. Never painted in pink before. Perhaps you've challenged me :D

Lovely thought provoking post.

Best wishes,
Liz

Sandra Tyler said...

love that! Funny I don't remember the neon from the 80s. I remember caramel coloree go-go boots that I begged my mother for...oh, wait, that was the 70s!

Barbra said...

I have been flirting with tangerine/orange for awhile within my home...an orange teapot and orange planters here and there and I am loving it. Happy color!
Thanks,Debbie for your comment about my tapes. Fingers crossed!

Barbra said...

read my blog today...YOU were the inspiration!