My Shop at Zibbet

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chandra X-Ray Observatory

Hello  again Bloggy Buddies. So we are almost to the end of A to Z Blogging and so far you have learned that I am a blogger, I am a beader and I love anything to do with fashion. But I bet you didn't know that I am also a bit of an Astronomy Geek, did you? Well, I am and I spend a lot of time exploring NASA's website because I happen to be totally fascinated by all things celestial. But we are all a bit curious about our Universe and all that is unknown out there, aren't we?

Anyhow, today for "X" day, I decided to blog about NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory. But don't worry, I won't bore you with a bunch of Rocket Science. Instead I want to show you some amazing pictures.  First though, I will tell you what the Chandra X-Ray Observatory is in as few words as possible, ok?

Chandra X-ray Observatory

Chandra is an x-ray telescope which was launched by the space shuttle Columbia in 1999 to further study the Universe via X-Ray Astronomy.  It would take an entire book to explain X-Ray Astronomy so lets just say it is the study of extremely hot and energetic light and is classified as major physics.  The Chandra X-Ray Telescope can obtain x-ray images of exotic environments to help understand the structure of the Universe. Its increased clarity helps scientists answer fundamental questions about the origin, evolution and destiny of the Universe. So that's enough Science for one day, not so bad right? Now on to the amazing pics.


The Tarantula Nebula, 16,000 light years from earth contains thousands of young massive stars making it an excellent place to study the birth of stars.


These are the stars in the center of the Constellation Orion, 1,500 light years away.


This is a Supermassive Black Hole at the center of our galaxy, 26,000 light years away.

And that's the end of show and tell, because if I don't end this right here, I could go on forever! That's how fascinated I am with this subject.  Anyhow, I hope you liked the pics and didn't find the text too boring, but there you have it in a nutshell, Astronomy 101 brought to you by Abracadebra, the letter X, and The Chandra X-Ray Observatory. If you did find this post to be interesting, here is a link to Chandra on NASA's website.  http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/main/index.html.

TTYL and make it a good day,
Debbie

5 comments:

Amalie Berlin said...

How can I have never heard of this! I'm such a geek documentary, I can only assume there has never been a documentary made of it. Or I just never saw it advertised.

I will find out. Oh yes, I will find a documentary, or I will just whine really really loud.

(Gorgeous images.)

Amalie Berlin said...

that shoulda been DOCUMENTARY GEEK. Dyslexia strikes again! :)

JoJo said...

I love astronomy as well!!! I took it in college but it was too much science and not enough 'lookit the purty stars n stuff!' These photos are beautiful

Miss Val's Creations said...

These photos are amazing Debbie! I have never studied astronomy but I certainly love to gaze up at the sky on a clear, starry night!!!

michelle said...

Fascinating stuff, Debra! Thanks for the astronomy lesson.
Btw, the pics of the thousands of stars resemble sparkling beads... :)